The Third Annual Cult of the Great Pumpkin Art Contest (2013)
The Cult of the Great Pumpkin, in association with Sinister Visions inc., is pleased to present the Faces of The Great Pumpkin Art Contest for 2013.
The concept is simple: Draw, paint, sculpt or otherwise create a portrait of The Great Pumpkin. That is, YOUR VISION of The Great Pumpkin. Since nobody’s ever seen him (and lived to tell about it, anyway), his appearance is completely open to interpretation, and that’s what we want to see! Let your imagination run wild, commit your ideas to paper, screen, sculpt or pumpkin pulp, and send it in! You can see 2011′s submissions HERE and 2012′s submissions HERE.
- One submission per artist.
- The piece submitted must be an original work of art, not derivative or plagiarized. Any submission shown to be stolen or “borrowed” from another’s work will be disqualified.
- The piece must be a portrait of The Great Pumpkin, however you interpret that concept.
- The piece does not have to be exclusive to this contest.
- All entries must be received by midnight on October 15th, 2013.
- Voting will begin on October 16th, 2013 and end at midnight on October 30th, 2013.
- The winners will be announced on Halloween, October 31st, 2013.
CHOOSING THE WINNERS
- There will be 4 winners this year: One will be determined by Popular Vote, and three will be judged by a panel of experts.
PANEL OF EXPERTS
The Cult of the Great Pumpkin is pleased and honored to have 3 Halloween Experts acting as our judges this year, people who directly inspired this website and everything it stands for. They will choose a winner that they feel best exemplifies the concept and spirit of The Great Pumpkin, making sure that artistic merit and strong concepts are rewarded as much as artists with friends who are willing to vote. They are, in no particular order:
- Lesley Bannatyne is the author of multiple books on the folklore, history and cultural impact of Halloween. Visit her website at http://iskullhalloween.com/
- Eric “Toxic Toons” Pigors is a prolific dark artist/illustrator/designer whose love of Halloween is evident in everything he does. Visit his website at http://www.toxictoons.com/
- Rot is the mysterious mastermind behind PumpkinRot.com, one of the longest-running and coolest Halloween websites on the web. If you aren’t already following the What’s Brewing blog, you’re missing out, all year long.
- Voting will take place via this website; the voters will be the site’s visitors. The contest will be heavily promoted via social media and other networking avenues already in place. In the event of a tie, Sam Pumpking will make the final call.
- Submitted artwork remains the property of the submitting artist.
- Submitted artwork will appear in a gallery at PumpkinCult.com in perpetuity.
- Submitted artwork may be used to promote the contest, including (but not limited to) the front page blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Appropriate credits will always be given.
- Any usage beyond the above stated will first be negotiated with the submitting artist.
- Prizes awarded will be Popular Vote, First Place, Second Place and Third Place as decided by the judges. Honorable Mentions may be awarded if warranted. Each prize will be a pack of horror and Halloween collectibles, goodies and bits of spooky awesomeness.
- Prizes are being furnished by Sinister Visions inc., who also supply prizes for contests at Flashback Weekend, Zombie Pinups events, Retro Zombie Tiki Terror and other dark-themed contests and events.
- Additional prizes will be provided by the many Halloween and haunted house industry businesses and attractions affiliated with Sinister Visions.
The Cult of the Great Pumpkin reserves the right to amend the information on this page, if we think of a way to make the contest better, or realize we said something stupid.
HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
Use one of these banner/buttons and link to http://pumpkincult.com/contests/